LGBT Counseling for Sex Addiction and Compulsive Behaviors
Are you, or a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender (LGBT) loved-one compromised by compulsive sexual behaviors such as cruising, cybersex or internet porn addiction, or other behavioral compulsions in order to:
- Boost confidence or self-validation?
- To feel socially accepted?
- To feel sexually connected and desireable?
- To self-sooth from distress or trauma?
- To fit into the bar or other sub-culture?
Gays and Lesbians are three times more likely to struggle with chemical dependency, drug abuse, or other compulsive behaviors or addictions than the general population, not because of their sexual orientation or genetics, but because of societal/cultural, and psychological factors that result from external and internalized homophobia, including: Lack of self-acceptance. Self-medication to deal with coming out and daily stressors. Social acceptance and Initiation into the bar scene. Overcoming internal fears about gay sex and sexuality. To deal with loneliness, rejection, or loss. To escape or avoid intimacy.
Characteristics of Addiction:
- Obsession: thinking or fantasizing about using.
- Compulsion: acting out the behavior even against self-interest.
- Habit: continued behavior in spite of negative consequences.
- Tolerance: it takes more substance or higher risk behavior to get the same effect.
- Shame: rationalization, or a sense of entitlement.
Addiction Therapy and intervention in my Denver, Colorado, gay counseling and psychotherapy practice
Lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender, and questioning people, may often get overwhelmed by the pressures to fit or hide in an often hostile society. As a result, many hide their true identities from themselves or others, or medicate with substance abuse or other addictions. This can be particularly difficult and painful when dealing with a wide range of human emotional, sexual, and mental health issues.
The process of recovery requires a supportive environment that promotes healthy behaviors and relationships, self-respect and dignity, and personal empowerment to have and make effective choices.
GLOW Counseling offers addiction counseling, sex therapy, couples counseling, and psycho-sexual education on a large range of sexuality and intimacy issues:
- Anxiety and stress mamagment
- Body image
- Dealing with sexless relationship
- Depression therapy
- Disability and sex
- HIV-AIDS and STD’s
- Impotence and erectile dysfunction treatment
- Low desire or libido differences
- Maintaining healthy sexuality in relationship
- Men’s issues
- Overcoming childhood sexual abuse
- Porn (cybersex) addiction
- Sexual addictions
- Sexual disorders
- Sexuality and aging
- Transgender issues
- Women’s issues